Welcome to J.A.I.K.S. Blog, a place where we will provide you with a variety of resources on accounting, taxation and other related subjects suited for both individuals and/or their businesses.
We hope you can find the answers to your questions and/or curiosities, and always know we are here to help if you need more.
Follow us on Facebook or find us on LinkedIn - we are always eager to give you more!
1 minute reading time (282 words)
Phone Scams at Tax Time
Numbers from the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre show that direct calls remain the number one means of solicitation for fraudsters.
Although the CRA may contact you via phone to review your income tax and benefit return, it's important to note that legitimate government employees will always identify themselves with their name, employee number, and phone number.
Be cautious if anyone calls claiming to be from the CRA, especially if they request personal information such as your SIN, bank account, passport number, etc.
Things to look for:
- Be aware of emotional manipulation. They will often claim that personal information is needed to send you a refund or benefit payment.
- They may attempt to intimidate you by threatening legal action or arrest. A genuine CRA agent will never threaten you in any way.
What to do if you believe you have been the victim of a scam
If you receive a phone call from the CRA and are unsure, you can protect yourself by hanging up and contacting the CRA at the numbers below.
If you suspect that you have fallen prey to a scam or have disclosed personal information to a scammer, take immediate action and report it.
- Report the fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or visit their website and follow the reporting procedure.
- Inform your local law enforcement agency, financial institutions, and relevant credit bureaus.
- If you suspect any unauthorized changes to your banking, address, personal or business information, or a benefits application has been made without your knowledge, contact the CRA at either of these numbers. For personal inquiries, call 1-800-959-8281. For businesses, call 1-800-959-5525.
You should also contact our office immediately so we can help.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.
No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment