J.A.I.K.S Blog


Welcome to J.A.I.K.S. Blog, a place where we will provide you with a variety of resources on accounting, taxation and other related subjects suited for both individuals and/or their businesses.

We hope you can find the answers to your questions and/or curiosities, and always know we are here to help if you need more.

Follow us on Facebook or find us on LinkedIn - we are always eager to give you more!

Steps for a Retroactive Disability Tax Credit Claim


If you believe that you were eligible for the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) in previous years but did not claim it, you may be able to make a retroactive claim. Retroactive claims allow you to request adjustments to previous tax returns and potentially receive refunds for the missed credits.

Here are the steps to make a retroactive Disability Tax Credit claim in Canada:

  1. Determine eligibility: Assess whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the DTC in the years you wish to make a retroactive claim. The eligibility requirements remain the same for retroactive claims.
  2. Complete Form T1ADJ: To request adjustments to previous tax returns, use Form T1ADJ - T1 Adjustment Request. Indicate the specific year(s) for which you are making the retroactive claim.
  3. Obtain a completed Form T2201: Have a certified medical practitioner complete a Disability Tax Credit Certificate (Form T2201) for each year you are making a retroactive claim. The form should clearly indicate that you met the eligibility criteria in those years.
  4. Submit the documentation: Send the completed Form T1ADJ and the corresponding Form T2201(s) to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Include a cover letter explaining that you are making a retroactive claim for the Disability Tax Credit and provide any necessary supporting documentation.
  5. CRA review: The CRA will review your retroactive claim and the supporting documentation provided. They may contact you or your medical practitioner for additional information or clarification.
  6. Notification and adjustment: If the CRA approves your retroactive claim, they will send you a Notice of Reassessment outlining the adjustments made to your previous tax returns. This may result in a refund if you overpaid taxes in those years.

It's important to note that there are time limits for making retroactive claims. Generally, you can request adjustments for tax returns filed within the past 10 years. However, the specific rules and limitations may vary, so it's advisable that you contact our office for assistance. I also recommend consulting the official Canada Revenue Agency website or contacting them directly.

The Disability Tax Credit & Low-Income Canadians
Canadians and the Disability Tax Credit (DTC)

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Monday, 22 April 2024

Contact Us

Our Office

J.A.I.K.S. Consulting Inc 
Based in New Westminster, BC
Proudly Serving BC and ON

Phone: (778) 792 3282